Internship opportunities for Kenyan, Rwandan and Uganda students in Indian IT companiesDr. Drake Patrick Mirembe
The International Trade Centre (ITC), a technical agency of the United Nations, is launching an Indo-East African Internship Programme in 2017, targeting female graduates and students from Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda. The Indo-East African Internship programme is one of the initiatives under a project called Supporting Indian Trade and Investment for Africa (SITA). The five-year project aims to facilitate trade, investment and technology transfer between India and East Africa.
The IT service sector is one of the key sectors for SITA in three countries: Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda. Each of the governments in these countries has prioritized the development of a vibrant IT service sector, and is investing in infrastructure, skills and capacity in order to build competitiveness and increase socio-economic development.
Young graduates and students often lack the opportunity of relevant hands-on experience, making it challenging for them to enter the job market. On the other hand, future employers find it difficult to identify young talents with employable skills. Furthermore, women working in the IT sector are still a minority – calling for initiatives to unlock this untapped potential across East Africa.
To help creating East African IT talent, SITA is launching a new Indo-East African Internship Programme, enabling high-potential female graduates and students from East Africa to gain skills, knowledge and experience in Indian IT companies.
The Indian IT sector is one of the fastest-growing sectors of the Indian economy and a global market leader. Gaining practical skills and experiences in this environment will help young talent to enhance their employability at home as well internationally. It will also expose young East African women to latest technologies and technological developments, enabling them in bringing back knowledge of best practices from India to East Africa.
SITA partners with Indian IT companies to provide outstanding female graduates and students from Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda with a 3-6 months internship opportunity. Candidates will go through a rigid selection process, based on the companies’ requirements. SITA will support travel costs (international flight tickets) and costs for medical insurances. Companies will pay a small stipend to the interns.
Kenyan, Rwandan, Ugandan nationals below 30 years
- Only female candidates
- Ideal candidates have a completed Master’s Degree. As a minimum requirement, candidates must have completed their Bachelor’s degree, with 60% and above throughout. Students in their final year of Bachelor’s degree will not be accepted
- Eligible study programmes include: Computer Sciences; Computer Engineering, Information Technology; Applied Computing, Information Systems; Information Technology Enabled Services; and very similar.
- There are also few non-technical internship positions. Here, minimum requirement is a completed Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration. Ideally, candidates have completed a Master’s Degree of Business Administration.
- Technical profiles: Students must have practical experience in at least 1 programming language. They must be able to prove this practical experience (e.g. gained through a university project)-
- Students must have outstanding written and oral communication skills
If you are interested to participate, please submit your application by Friday, 3 February 2017. Please complete the two following steps:
- Submit your application at http://www.intracen.org/sita/Indo-Africa-Internship/
- Send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org copy email@example.com . Please put ‘Indo-East African Internship Programme’ in the subject line of the email. The name of your CV should be first lastname.firstname
Do note: Incomplete applications (missing information; missing CVs) will not be considered. Applications received later than 3 February 2017 will not be considered. Applications and CVs full of spelling errors, with incomplete information on names, titles, dates, degrees etc. will not be considered. Applications without contact details of at least two different individual referees will not be considered.
Please find more information here: www.intracen.org/sita/Indo-Africa-Internship/